Each of the following excerpts is from an interview with a real explorer about his or her experience in the field. Listen for their descriptions of the advanced equipment and technology that they use, and consider the following questions: What problem has their technology solved? How has their technology made it easier for them to safely explore and make discoveries?
Arctic Sea Floor Explorer Rob Reves-Sohn
SciFri Excerpt: Expedition Explores the Arctic Sea Floor July 6, 2007
Polar Explorer John Houston
SciFri Excerpt: The Race to the South Pole July 23, 2010
Ocean Explorer Bob Ballard
SciFri Excerpt: Conversation With Ocean Explorer Bob Ballard July 3, 2009
Ocean Explorer Sylvia Earle
SciFri Video: Desktop Diaries: Sylvia Earle June 15, 2012
- Follow along with Science Friday's Book Club as we read The Lost City of Z, by David Grann.
- Read about one explorer's selection of research equipment in “Arctic Research: Carhartts, Polar Bears, and Duct Tape,” by Joel N. Shurkin.
Tour the unique artifacts collected by Explorers Club members during research expeditions over the last century in this SciFri video Behind-the-Scenes at the Explorers Club.
Conduct short research projects to answer a question (including a self-generated question), drawing on several sources and generating additional related, focused questions that allow for multiple avenues of exploration.
Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, using search terms effectively; assess the credibility and accuracy of each source; and quote or paraphrase the data and conclusions of others while avoiding plagiarism and following a standard format for citation.
Gather relevant information from multiple authoritative print and digital sources, using advanced searches effectively; assess the usefulness of each source in answering the research question; integrate information into the text selectively to maintain the flow of ideas, avoiding plagiarism and following a standard format for citation.
Integrate multiple sources of information presented in diverse media or formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively, orally), evaluating the credibility and accuracy of each source.
- Scientific investigations use a variety of methods, tools, and techniques to revise and produce new knowledge.
- Scienctific investigations use diverse methods and do not always use the same set of procedures to obtain data.
- New technologies advance scientific knowledge.
- Technological advances have influenced the progress of science, and science has influenced advances in technology.
- Science and engineering are influenced by society, and society is influenced by science and engineering.
- Scientists and engineers rely on human qualities such as persistence, precision, reasoning, logic, imagination and creativity.
- Advances in technology influence the progress of science, and science has influenced advances in technology.